Monday, September 10, 2012

Dust Bunnies

The second week of school we read Rhyming Dust Bunnies when we began our rhyming unit.  Great book and the kids really enjoyed it, especially Bob!

BUT, then over the next couple of weeks, like always, the tattling, unkind words, name calling, and so on picked up (the new to Kindergarten, scared to death, shy kiddos left, and my room was replaced with "Yep, I got this kiddos!").  lol  So, I found a new book in our library that had our favorite Dust Bunnies in it.  It was called Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny.

This was great for Character Ed.  We talked about how we treat our friends and about how we feel when someone is "mean" to us.  This led into some great modeling and practice.  We practiced how to respond to someone when they were being mean to us or to one of our friends.  The kids had a great time, and I truly believe that we need to give them/teach them the words to use so when the time comes, they know what to say.  You know it was in our best Kindergarten voice, “Oh no, I don’t think what you are doing is very nice!”  "I don't think you should treat your friends like that."  You know what, later that day I actually heard a student say it.  WOW, they do listen.  There are some very adorable Dust Bunny crafts out there on the internet, but my favorite came from Miss Alison.  Thanks Alison.
http://missalisonisblogging.blogspot.com/p/how-to-make-rhyming-dust-bunny.html





No comments:

Post a Comment