Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Be the Word: A Literacy Game

My students just love it when we get to play our "Be the Word" game using our large letter/sound flashcards.  When we are in a large group working on the new words we can make with the new sound we have learned, I have the kids hold up the letter/sound flashcards to spell a word and the other students sound the word out.  This is so much fun because they are engaged and are excited as they wait for their turn to "Be the Word."

This is a great activity because it can work on so many things!   I love to use these flashcards when we are working on Phoneme Segmentation.   It really helps reinforce that some letters work together to make one sound!  They see 5 letters in short, but only hear 3 sounds, and they can visually see that with the flashcards.  We like to call those letters that work together "Best-Friends."

I also use these flashcards when I introduce a new letter/sound.  I show the kids the big stack at the beginning of the year, and I tell them that they will learn all of these letters and sounds.  "Wow, really Mrs. Rucker???"  Yep!  They love it when the stack gets smaller and smaller and smaller because we are putting them in our "Yep, I Know That" pile!  :0)


How do you work on building new words or sound segmenting in your classroom?  What tips or tricks can you share with us to put in our teaching backpack? :0)

These flashcards are available on TpT in the "Star" theme.  We are all Kindergarten Stars in my classroom!  If you would like to see them in another theme for your classroom, please let me know!
Large Letter/Sound Flashcards - Stars



"Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy."  Psalm 33:3

23 comments:

  1. Thanks Tracey. I am super excited that it has helped! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea! I have all boys, so we are big on hands on learning and learning through movement. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you happen to have cards with the blends on them too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The set includes flash cards for all 44 "sounds" in the English language. I have included the various vowel combinations for the sounds as well. As far as basic "blends" like gr, fl, bl, etc., we actually just use the two letters separately. I want the kids to understand that those two letters are actually separate sounds that "mix" together.

      As far as the consonant digraphs, yes, they are in the set. Along with all of the upper and lowercase letters, these are the other cards included in the set: th, wh, sh, ch, ar, ng, oo, ai, ay, ee, ea, igh, oa, ow, ou, ew, ue, ir, er, ur, oi, oy, or, au, aw.

      If you would like me to put the other consonant blends on cards for you, I would love to help out. Just email me! Thanks
      Faith
      faith.kindergartenfaith@gmail.com

      Delete